Aussi

Aussi

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Am I Missing the Point of Christmas?

You know someone I don't know, posted a rant on her Facebook page about the fact that I called Christmas a party and did not dignify it as the birth of the savior.

Maybe that's because Christmas has become a party.  We go to Christmas parties, not to Christmas religious ceremonies.  We drink, we don't pray.

This is not my fault, I'm pointing out the obvious.  It may be a disgrace, but it has already happened. 

What should Christmas be about?

To me it should be about love, about exchanging love instead of gifts.  It should be about having a beautiful festival in the middle of winter. 

It shouldn't be the only time of year we think about people who are less fortunate than us, or the only time we over tip waitstaff or pay it forward.  The "Christmas Spirit" should extend throughout the year. 

I think Christmas is a state of mind. 

It is a reason to celebrate.  It is a reason to give.   

Christmas brings relatives together and families and friends together.  Christmas brings people home who never go home.  It's about great food and great drinks.

This is all in the Christmas brochure, I'm not creating this, or making it up.  I see why people wish it was more religious or sacred, but let's face the facts, for most of the world it is no longer really about religious ideals.  Let's not forgot that it has become a consumer binge.  I'm not a fan of the fact that Christmas has become about buying stuff.

But would I rather it be about Jesus Christ? 

I'm gonna admit here, I'm not a fan of religion in general.  I have nothing against Christianity in particular.  I was brought up Sikh and I'm not religious. There is a Buddhist saying, "Religion is like a boat, once you get to your destination, there is no need to carry that boat on your head."  For me, my destination is spirituality.

There really are not any parties for Sikh holidays, people pray during these holidays.  Sikhs don't drink, it is against our religion and we don't have a party to celebrate things that are sacred.  Maybe we are mixing our metaphors so to speak on Christmas, we are dancing and laughing when we should be singing and praying.  

Does that mean it is wrong to party it up on Christmas?  You tell me.

I don't know, I'm sort of in Rome here.  I'm doing what the Romans do.

In America we speak American and we have parties on Christmas Eve.  It's what we do.

I will be going to a party and having a good old time!

So for whatever your belief system, as someone put it so eloquently on Facebook this morning..."Merry Christmas or Happy Tuesday!"

Either way, have a good one!    

No comments:

Post a Comment