Aussi

Aussi

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Nothing is as Nothing does


                 


Have you ever heard of the concept of nothing?  It’s really something.

Nothing’s got nothing on me.  There is this concept in Buddhism about emptiness.  It’s sort of about nothing.

I can’t wrap my head around it.  Do they want us to be nothing?  Isn’t that sort of anti-spiritual?  I thought we were supposed to know that we are something, a part of something larger.  I thought nothing was nothing.

Apparently I know nothing.

I’ve made something out of nothing, many times.  I wonder if that is why they want us to be empty.  I think emptiness is real, but I’m not a Buddhist per say. 

But if you want to be happy maybe you should worry about nothing.  Maybe that is what they are talking about.  You know what I find interesting about the Buddha, he is often shown laughing and he is often depicted as being very heavy.

Maybe he ate a lot and had a lot of fun!  Maybe that’s how he found enlightenment.  If I could eat my way to enlightenment I would be set.

What is enlightenment you ask?  I’m not sure.  I think it might be complete happiness, pure love and absolute bliss.  But what do I know?

I’m sort of making things up as I go along.  I’ve studied some religions, some spirituality and I’ve experienced some things.  I am hesitant to talk about some of things I have experienced and do experience.  I’m not a freak.  I don’t want to lose your attention because you begin to think I am one.  So we will save the unusual experiences for later.

Going back to the concept of nothing.  I really believe the universe requires nothing of us.  We don’t even really have to ‘live’ if we don’t want to.  We are completely free.

I mean are we free?  Maybe nothing is stopping our freedom.  Maybe that is why they focus on nothing.  Nothing can stop us.  Nothing is in our way.

You know I’m nothing without you.  I’m serious; I would not have a forum for these thoughts if it weren’t for people like you.  Even when I have nothing to say, I know someone else might feel that way too.  Saying nothing is often the most priceless thing you can do.

I got nothing on my mind right now.  I got to say I feel free.

Maybe the point is to empty your mind of all the garbage.  Take out the trash.

Have a fresh new bag ready.  You know what, sometimes I want to write nothing.  I want to send you a blank page and ask you to blog for me.

Maybe I will send an empty page as a blog post one day.  That will take balls won’t it?  I wonder how many people will like that.  I wonder how many people would get it.  I wonder how many people would write their own blog for me.

I have this newfound respect for trees lately.  They do nothing really.  I mean they give us oxygen and grow and what not.  But they just exist.  I want to be like a tree sometimes.

On another note, maybe since god expects nothing from me, I should expect nothing from other people.  Would not that make me more peaceful?

If I wanted nothing, maybe I would be happy.  Nothing is as nothing does.  There is a conundrum for you.

I’m here.  That is all I can say for sure. 

I live.  That is nothing.

The most important thing we do in life is breathe.  It seems like nothing.  Air looks like nothing.  It is one of the great cosmic jokes that we can’t see what is truly sustaining our life.  Our air. 

I have nothing, you know.  I mean seriously.  Someone just broke into my debit card and was probably really disappointed that he could buy nearly nothing. 

I mean I’m lying: I have so much.  However it should mean nothing to me.  I should be OK with nothing.

Maybe god is a great big nothing.  I think that might be different than saying he does not exist.  But maybe there is nothing to him at all.  Perhaps we are nothing.

That is my worst fear. 

There is this quote by Shakespeare, “This life…it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

You got that?  It may not mean anything at all. 

We like to assign great meaning to our lives; I’m no different. 

But what if all of this is about nothing at all, but the thing itself. 

Maybe the meaning of life is life itself.  The tree is just a tree and I am just a woman.

Alan Watts said, “The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.” 

Maybe the universe is laughing at us because we want so badly for this to be about something, when it is all about nothing at all.

But I am not nothing.   I’m more than that right?  Or is that my ego?  I want to be something don’t I?  In the Sikh scriptures the Guru often calls himself the lowest of the low, the dust of the Saint’s feet.  He says that we should all strive to be that low.  Perhaps we should think nothing of ourselves.

I went to a mediation consultation the other day and the woman said while meditating the object is not to think of nothing, but to notice that your thoughts have nothing of value to them.  To not attach yourself to the nothingness.  Most of our banal thoughts mean nothing at all.  They have to do with grocery lists and emails etc.  They don’t have to do with universal love.  While meditating we are supposed to concentrate on all there is, not nothing.

I understand nothing.  I’m serious. I don’t really get it.

I get nothing. 

I got nothing.

Below I’m leaving a blank space. This is obviously metaphorically for you.

If you want to in the metaphoric space below write something.  You can write it for you and only you, you can message it to me on Facebook at Author Nina Kaur, or you can put it in the comments for all to see. 

You could also do nothing.















nina 


Image courtesy of Stuart Miles/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net     


No comments:

Post a Comment