Aussi

Aussi

Friday, July 4, 2014

Let Freedom Ring...(on your cell phone)

                                                 
   
Do you realize how lucky we are, I mean you have some kind of device whether it be a computer, a tablet or a phone with which to read this.  You have the luxury to read a blog!  I have the luxury to write one.

Remember when you used to read books?  I remember when I used to write them.  I remember the library and doing research projects from books, encyclopedias and microfiche. (Do you remember before spell check when you had to learn how to spell words like "microfiche?")  Do realize that google has now replaced the Dewey Decimal System?  Our kids may never hear of Dewey and his goddamn decimals that no one really understood in the first place!  Or the godforsaken card catalog!   

I mean it's not exactly the Jetsons around here...It's not Paradise up in this joint we call America but it's comfortable enough that we get Internet service in our cars for goddsakes.  Surfing the net while driving is now as common as drinking and driving.  There are probably more people addicted to the Internet than alcohol.  What does it all mean?

We live in 2014.  Come one people, there is at least less obvious slavery (although sex slavery is still rampant), women are free enough to at least say they are not free, and we have toilets.  I mean I'm dead serious, go to countries where they don't have enough toilets and you will know what I'm talking about.  The biggest luxury you have is under your ass.   

I used to read books in school about history.  In fact I once had an American history teacher who would come dressed in costumes like characters from the past. I think when she dressed up like a Ku Klux Klan member she got fired, that's what I heard.  She at least didn't try to come in Black Face, or as they call it on SNL, African American Face.    

It's the Fourth of July, which makes me remember that I'm lucky to live in the United States.  I mean I love and hate it, with all it's curves and imperfections.  But let's be real if I grew up in India what would they have done with a person like me?  I would either be married with five children or stuck in an insane asylum or both.  


Speaking of crazy, do you remember when Alanis Morisette recommended walking around naked in your living room?  Those are the kinds of songs American radio stations play people.  Come on, there was even a parental advisory sticker on Alanis's CD.  Remember CD's?  Remember before the Internet where someone could actually stop a kid from buying a CD with a parental advisory labels on it?   Remember when in America controversial music was a problem parent's used to worry about instead of school shootings?

Speaking of memories, I try to remember all the T.V. shows I was not allowed to watch as a kid and did anyways.  Fame and the Love Boat.  I'm also lucky because hands down we have the best T.V. shows in this world in America.  Have you ever seen an Indian Soap Opera?  Desperate Indian Housewives take drama to a whole new level, they can seriously back stab a bitch with their bindi's and sari's all in impeccable shape.  

I don't watch that much T.V. anymore, but sometimes I miss it.  In fact I was at dinner the other day with some friends and there was a discussion as to what "Sex in the City" character each one of us was.  I was labeled as Samantha unanimously.

I take it is a compliment believe you me, but I don't buy it.  I mean she was bold and sexy and all that and a bag of chips!  I would love to say I'm like her...but I'm not as bold.  I wouldn't walk around my living room naked.  Or would I?  

What I think is interesting about this whole thing is that Samantha was the quintessential American.  Maybe I'm like her because I say outrageous things.  I mean I tend to say what's on my mind. Shocking statement, I know... if others think I'm like hot and sexy Samantha than good for me!  Am I ready to walk around naked in front of the world?  Not so much...perhaps that is the Indian in me. 


By naked I mean metaphorically and literally.  If Samantha was a little more large and in charge, what would she do?  She would embrace it.  Samantha had Cancer on the show if you remember, what did she do about that?  She kicked it's ass.

I want to kick my disease's ass too.  I may have Bipolar Disorder but it's not going to stop me from being me.  Fuck biology and chemistry.  I can overcome it.  I can fight it.  I can win.   

It's such an American ideal to overcome isn't it?  I mean people are doing it everywhere in the world, no doubt, but it's like the classic American tale.  

America the beautiful...You know the story, my dad came to America with like seven dollars in his pocket...He now lives in a large upper middle class home.  He is also now blind and he worked many years as a blind man and got respect from his colleagues and even won awards at EDS.  He also put me and my sister through U of M while losing his eyesight.  My dad even had a leader dog but unfortunately it went blind.  I'm not kidding.  You can't make that stuff up.

Hopefully in America or somewhere in the world they will come up with a cure for blindness.  

You don't want to know what happens to blind people in India, it's so sickening I can't talk about it.  They definitely can't have a dog with them in public places.  At least in this country you can have a mental illness, a handicap, or be homosexual or anything and get some respect.  I know it's not perfect, but guess what, in terms of respect this may the best place the world has to offer.  It's not good enough, but everything is relative. 

We have to make America better but we sometimes should sit back and just be grateful for what we got.  I'm not some idiot who thinks the U.S. is by any means all that it can be, but I'm not all that I can be either.  Are you?

So on this Fourth of July, maybe we should step back and not look at all the negative crap the news wants to tell us about what's going on in this country.  Maybe for a hot second we should think we are lucky to live in this flawed but great country.

I'm by no means a patriot, I'm just an optimist.

nina  

Image courtesy of duron123/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net     

No comments:

Post a Comment